A student at a middle school in eastern North Carolina was bitten by a snake inside the school Friday and treated at a local hospital.
It happened at Chowan Middle School in Chowan, according to WAVY-TV.
A girl found the snake in a school hallway and picked it up by the tail, an Edenton-Chowan Schools spokesperson confirmed to WAVY.
When the snake bit her on the finger, the girl dropped it, but then picked it up again, and it bit her a second time on the hand.
Officials believe the snake was a nonvenomous garter snake, but they had the school inspected and treated on Saturday, the news station reported.
Thank you for reading the Journal-News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Journal-News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.