Do not use cooking grills or fuel-powered generators indoors. They emit carbon monoxide. You and your family can die from carbon monoxide fumes.
Evacuate immediately if you smell gas.
Turn off and unplug all unnecessary electrical equipment, including sensitive electronics.
Turn off or disconnect any appliances (like stoves), equipment or electronics you were using when the power went out. When power comes back on, surges or spikes can damage equipment.
Leave one light turned on so you’ll know when the power comes back on.
After a Power Outage
Throw away any food that has been exposed to temperatures 40° F or warmer for 2 hours or more. If the food has an unusual odor, color or texture, throw it out.
Contact a pharmacist or your doctor if you’re concerned about medications having spoiled.
Restock your emergency kit with fresh batteries, canned foods and other supplies