The victim’s wife, Jody Ireland, told Fox News her husband, who is diabetic and more susceptible to the illness, may have contracted the bug through a wound on his leg.
Jody Ireland said in a GoFundMe post that her husband is in a "life-threatening situation" and that she's "praying for a miracle."
Ireland said her husband, a Universal Studios worker, could lose even more of his skin as doctors try to save his life.
Newsweek reported Daniel Ireland also takes blood pressure medicine, which hampers blood flow to his hands and feet.
"Those may be amputated if he even pulls through," Jody Ireland told the publication. "Doctors are optimistic but are still not sure if he will pull through."
Necrotizing fasciitis is a rare and dangerous bacterial infection that spreads quickly and can cause death, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The bug, which is usually not contagious, generally enters the body through a break in the skin, including cuts and scrapes, burns, insect bites, puncture wounds and surgical wounds, the CDC reported.
Experts have warned people against swimming in warm and brackish waters with open wounds, as the bacteria tends to thrive in that environment.