Kylei had scraped her toes while riding a skateboard just days before swimming in Destin. Now, Brown said she believes the bacteria entered Kylei's body through the scrape on her toes.
Kylei had to undergo emergency surgery to save her leg and her life, Brown said.
“If it wasn’t for their quick responses and aggressive treatments, we wouldn’t have her … It’s hard for me to think about if I had waited one more day, or even a couple more hours. We’re just very fortunate,” she said.
Kylei is now back home after spending a week in the hospital. She still has an IV in her arm for antibiotics. She’ll be taking therapy to help her walk again.
"I've told my mom I just want to be normal again with my leg," Kylei said.
Even with treatment, up to 1 in 3 people who contract necrotizing fasciitis die from it, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC recommends anyone with an open wound or skin infection avoid spending time in pools, hot tubs or natural bodies of water.