Boy’s foot, hair set on fire at sleepover

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

Caption
Boy’s Foot, Hair Set on Fire at Sleepover

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

An Indiana 8-year-old is recovering after he was set on fire early Sunday during a sleepover at a relative’s house, authorities said.

The boy's mother, Miranda Roberts, told WTHI-TV in Terre Haute that her son was spending the night at a family member's house in West Terre Haute when he woke up in pain. He realized that his sock and hair had been set on fire, and that beer had been poured on him, Roberts said.

"I just drove as fast as I could to get there, and I was throwing up," Roberts told the news station. "And I just remember walking in, and I don't even know who was in the room. I just went straight to him."

The boy’s injuries were not serious.

Explore>> Read more trending stories

Roberts said she believes that her son was injured by a friend of a family member who was attending a bonfire at the house. She said she did not know other people would be there when she allowed her son to sleep over.

The Vigo County Sheriff’s Office told the news station that the case is under investigation.