Quick action by a maintenance man is credited with controlling a fire Thursday night at the Otterbein retirement campus in Warren County.
The fire in an apartment on the 3rd floor of the Phillippi Hall building was extinguished by Craig Dill on Thursday, before the Turtlecreek Twp. Fire Department arrived about 7 p.m., according to reports.
The fire, started by a plastic tray left on a hot stove, caused extensive thick smoke, but Dill’s response with a fire extinguisher confined the fire to the stove top, according to reports.
“As far as I’m concerned, he deserves a medal for bravery,” Assistant Fire Chief Mike Jameson said Friday.
One resident was treated at Atrium Medical Center and released, according to Otterbein.
Eight residents were evacuated, but returned to their rooms Friday morning.
Dill and the nursing supervisor were also treated, according to Otterbein.
Thank you for reading the Journal-News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Journal-News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.