The Clean Sweep of the Great Miami River, a volunteer event focused on removing trash and restoring the health of the river, will be held from 9 a.m. to noon Oct. 27.
The cleanup is an annual event coordinated by many partners and is held twice a year: in July in the upper reaches, and in October in the lower region of the river.
There are numerous locations to volunteer on Oct. 27, including:
• Fairfield: Waterworks Park, 5133 Groh Lane. More info: Tim McLelland, 513-785-2464
• Franklin: Carmody Park, 7499 Martz-Paulin Road. More info: Warren County Soil and Water Conservation District, 513-695-3086
• Hamilton: Downtown at RiversEdge Amphitheatre, 116 Dayton St. More info: Allen Messer, 513-785-7286
• Hamilton: Riverside Natural Area, 2541 River Road. More info: Kathy Schwable, 513-262-5321
• Liberty Twp.: Dudley Woods, 5591 Hankins Road. More info: Liberty Twp Parks and Recreation, 513-759-7589
• Middletown: Jimco Kayak at Spoken Bicycles, 1201 Central Ave. To reserve a kayak for the cleanup, call 937-260-7753.
• Middletown: Bicentennial Commons, 100 S. Carmody Blvd. More info: Keep Middletown Beautiful, 513-425-7750
• Madison Twp.: Neal Excavating, 5190 Trenton Franklin Road. More info: Todd Farler, 513-424-0821
• New Miami: Veterans Park, 297 Howman Ave. More info: Lynn White at Butler County Soil and Water Conservation District, 513-887-3720
• Oxford: Corso Road Covered Bridge, 5401 Corso Road. To reserve a canoe for the cleanup, email email@example.com
• Trenton: Community Park, 440 Dell Drive. More info: Lon Green, 513-988-6304, ext. 172
• Trenton: Woodsdale MetroPark, 1917 Woodsdale Road. More info: MetroParks, 513-867-5835
If the river is in flood stage on Oct. 27, the cleanup will be moved to Nov. 3. To register to volunteer, click here.
Thank you for reading the Journal-News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Journal-News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.