The Clean Sweep of the Great Miami River, a volunteer event focused on removing trash and restoring the health of the river, will be held from 9 a.m. to noon Oct. 27.
The cleanup is an annual event coordinated by many partners and is held twice a year: in July in the upper reaches, and in October in the lower region of the river.
There are numerous locations to volunteer on Oct. 27, including:
• Fairfield: Waterworks Park, 5133 Groh Lane. More info: Tim McLelland, 513-785-2464
• Franklin: Carmody Park, 7499 Martz-Paulin Road. More info: Warren County Soil and Water Conservation District, 513-695-3086
• Hamilton: Downtown at RiversEdge Amphitheatre, 116 Dayton St. More info: Allen Messer, 513-785-7286
• Hamilton: Riverside Natural Area, 2541 River Road. More info: Kathy Schwable, 513-262-5321
• Liberty Twp.: Dudley Woods, 5591 Hankins Road. More info: Liberty Twp Parks and Recreation, 513-759-7589
• Middletown: Jimco Kayak at Spoken Bicycles, 1201 Central Ave. To reserve a kayak for the cleanup, call 937-260-7753.
• Middletown: Bicentennial Commons, 100 S. Carmody Blvd. More info: Keep Middletown Beautiful, 513-425-7750
• Madison Twp.: Neal Excavating, 5190 Trenton Franklin Road. More info: Todd Farler, 513-424-0821
• New Miami: Veterans Park, 297 Howman Ave. More info: Lynn White at Butler County Soil and Water Conservation District, 513-887-3720
• Oxford: Corso Road Covered Bridge, 5401 Corso Road. To reserve a canoe for the cleanup, email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Trenton: Community Park, 440 Dell Drive. More info: Lon Green, 513-988-6304, ext. 172
• Trenton: Woodsdale MetroPark, 1917 Woodsdale Road. More info: MetroParks, 513-867-5835
If the river is in flood stage on Oct. 27, the cleanup will be moved to Nov. 3. To register to volunteer, click here.