Emergency crews responded today to a company’s Butler County operations for a report of a structure fire.
Crews were dispatched at 11:58 a.m. today after dispatchers received calls from employees at Iwata Bolt, 102 Iwata Drive in Fairfield, and employees evacuated the building.
Firefighters responding to the scene found radiant heat caused fire to smolder in wood bracing around the building’s vent stack, according to Tom Wagner, deputy fire chief for the Fairfield Fire Department.
It was the second time the department was dispatched to the scene today.
Following a 7:27 a.m. call to dispatchers for a fire where the vent stack went through the roof, firefighters extinguished flames in the wooden bracing but did not realize there was fire smoldering around the vent stack, Wagner said.
In between the two incidents, the company sent a crew to clean the vent stack of built-up creosote and found fire there, extinguishing most of it themselves before fire crews arrived, he said.
Firefighters arriving on the scene found and tore out smoldering boards on the building’s rooftop, Wagner said.
Iwata Bolt, one of the largest corporations specializing in fastening components in Japan, was founded in 1949. It opened its Fairfield facility in 2009, replacing Garden Grove as the company’s manufacturing and logistics center in North America.
Thank you for reading the Journal-News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Journal-News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.