Fireworks can scare a pet, causing them to hide or run away. Additionally, curious pets could get burned by the use of home fireworks. Fireworks also contain toxic substances that can be lethal if ingested.
The Humane Society suggests leaving your pet in an escape-proof area, leave calming music on to hide the boom of the fireworks and place a toy or bed with them.
>> Dayton police cracking down on fireworks
Identify your pets
In the case that your pet may run away or become lost in an attempt to hide, owners should have identification collars with a phone number clearly listed.
It is also suggested that owners microchip their pets in case they end up in a shelter or veterinarian office.
Don’t leave alcohol unattended
Alcohol can be poisonous to a pet, leading to them becoming intoxicated, weak, depressed or even enter a coma if consumed. In some cases, respiratory failure can occur and result in death.
>> Kings Island changes: What to know about new park rules as it opens today
Watch what they eat
Although it is tempting to feed your pet a scrap or two this could lead to diarrhea or severe indigestion. Onions, chocolate, avocados, grapes and raisins can be toxic to animals as well.
Avoid the repellent
If pets ingest repellent it can lead to drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy or excessive thirst. Products containing DEET can lead to neurological problems in pets. These side effects also pertain to sunscreen.
Always check to see if a product is pet friendly before use.