Hamilton firefighters responded just after 9 a.m. today to the 400 block of South Fourth Street on a report of heavy black smoke coming from an abandoned garage.
A homeless man who was living in the garage started a campfire to try and stay warm, according to Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Shaw.
“We are talking to the Salvation Army to see if he can go somewhere else, because he can’t stay there,” he said.
The fire was restricted to the garage and didn’t touch the rest of the property at 422 S. Fourth St.
Shaw said the building is “ready to fall down” and that he will send a priority email to the city to have the building demolished.
Thank you for reading the Journal-News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Journal-News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.