Georgia boy, 12, dies when he touches fence electrified by live wire

A 12-year-old Georgia boy died Monday when he touched a fence at an athletic complex that had been electrified by a live wire, The Augusta Chronicle reported.

>> Read more trending news

Melquan Kwame Robinson, of Augusta, was at football practice when he climbed over a chain-link fence, Richmond County Coroner Mark Bowen told the newspaper.

The boy was retrieving a football when he was electrocuted, WRDW reported. Five feet of fencing on either side of a light pole had a live current of electricity running through it when Robinson touched it, the television station reported.

The boy was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 9:56 p.m. Monday, the Chronicle reported.

Explore>> Girl electrocuted while trying to rescue kittens, officials believe

The athletic complex is owned by the city of Augusta. In a statement, city officials said three other people were injured. Two were juveniles and one was an adult, according to the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of all involved in this accident,” Augusta Mayor Hardie Davis said in a statement. “We ask Augustans to stand together to extend our condolences and embrace the family of Melquan Kwame Robinson with love during this sudden and unexpected loss.”

City Commissioner Marion Williams told WDRW that questions about the incident need to be addressed.

“A lot of parts that have to be answered on this, but before we make any rash decisions I want to be sure that we hear everything,” Williams told the television station Tuesday. “I want to make sure we look at every possible means over this happening and find out who's at fault.”

About the Author