Grandmother says 10-month-old baby died after choking on pine cone at day care

A grandmother is looking for answers and police are investigating after she says her 10-month-old grandson died after choking on a pine cone outside a day care, according to one local news report.

WRAL reported that Helena Harris said she dropped off her grandchild, Areon Ellington, at A Hug A Day Care Wednesday morning. Hours later, she got a call from the Raleigh, North Carolina, day care.

>> Read more trending news

“The day care lady called me and told me that I needed to get to the day care because Areon was choking on something,” Harris said.

Harris said her grandson was choking on a pine cone while playing outside. The station did not make it clear whether or not day care staff called 911.

The News & Observer reported that, according to the N.C. Division of Child Development and Early Education there have been past violations at the facility, which were discovered during unannounced visits.

The Raleigh Police Department is investigating. No charges have been filed, WRAL reported.

About the Author