A Madison parent whose children were on a bus that was engulfed in flames this afternoon described the blaze as causing panic among the students on board.
No Madison School students were injured when their school bus caught fire this afternoon in the 7000 block of Middletown-Germantown Road, according to the Butler County Sheriff’s Office.
All of the students were evacuated safety off the bus that suffered major damage.
Sarah Halcomb’s children were “both sitting near the front of the bus and saw and heard everything.”
Halcomb’s children told her the bus driver had called into the bus dispatch office and reported the engine was overheating.
“First white smoke came out and then it turned gray and she stopped the bus,” her children told her. “It was panicky and she (bus driver) told everyone to get off the bus. They (students) went out of both doors. While they were standing outside the bus they could see pieces of hot metal falling off the bus and catching the grass on fire.
“I was in shock when they told me but the students got on another bus and they were only 10 minutes later in getting home than normal.”
Madison Superintendent Lisa Tuttle-Huff said after the children got off the bus safely, another bus was dispatched to pick up the students.
“We are still in the process of investigating the incident,” said Tuttle-Huff, who said the safety of students is of “utmost importance” in the district.
She said the district is working with Petermann to investigate the incident.
She declined to comment further.
This story will be updated when information becomes available.
Thank you for reading the Journal-News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Journal-News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.