911 callers describe scene of crowds, guns, pot night of fatal Hamilton shooting

911 callers describe scene of crowds, guns, pot night of fatal Hamilton shooting

View CaptionHide Caption
The Chestnut Street area of Hamilton where Jaylen Kinney was fatally shot March 23 on his 24th birthday. GREG LYNCH/STAFF

Several people called 911 the night of a fatal Hamilton shooting, including residents who said a large crowd had gathered just before shots rang out and a white Toyota sped away from the scene.

Jaylen Kinney was shot on his 24th birthday March 23 at the end of Chestnut Street and was pronounced dead about one hour later at Fort Hamilton Hospital.

“There are a whole bunch of people out there shooting guns,” a woman told a 911 dispatcher, adding there were “about 30 guys out there.”

“I don’t want the police to come to my house,” she said, “but I wanted you to know.”

A second caller reported hearing four shots and several men loitering in the cul-de-sac.

“Somebody got shot, they are putting him in a car,” the woman screamed while on the 911 call.

A man at the residence then told the dispatcher he heard someone say, “we have to get him to the hospital.”

The group scattered, with some getting into a large black vehicle and the wounded man, later identified as Kinney, into a white Toyota, according to the man.

“They’ve been out there for a couple hours blaring music. I smelled pot for hours, but that is normal for them because they are always out there doing it,” the man said.

The man walked to the turnaround and told the 911 dispatcher, “There is blood everywhere. There is blood all over the ground and glass.”

Hamilton firefighters also called dispatchers to report shots fired in the area just after 11 p.m. The city’s fire headquarters is located about 1,000 feet from the scene of the shooting.

Police have released little information since the incident other than to say they are offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of a suspect.

Kinney, of Trotwood, was shot at about 11:13 p.m., according to police, at the end of Chestnut west of Front Street.

Detectives are continuing to investigate, but there has been little cooperation from witnesses, according to Police Chief Craig Bucheit.

“This was a targeted attack and we have reason to believe there were multiple witnesses to the shooting,” Bucheit told the Journal-News on Monday. “So far there has been very little cooperation.”

Police are offering a $5,000 reward for people “who come forward with information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible,” Bucheit said.

Weather and Traffic