The infected birds came from multiple hatcheries, according to the CDC.
"Regardless of where they were purchased, all live poultry can carry salmonella bacteria, even if they look healthy and clean," health officials said.
Salmonella infections typically last between four and seven days and rarely require hospitalization. In rare cases, the infection can cause death unless a person is promptly treated with antibiotics. Salmonella causes diarrhea, fever and abdominal craps. It can be particularly hard on children under 5 years old, adults over 65 and people with weakened immune systems.
The CDC released a list of tips for people who own backyard flocks:
- Always wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water right after touching live poultry or anything in the area where they live and roam. Also wash your hands after handling clothes and shoes that have touched live poultry. Adults should supervise hand washing for young children.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use hand sanitizer until you are able to wash your hands with soap and water.
- Do not let live poultry inside the house, in bathrooms or especially in areas where food or drink is prepared, served or stored, such as kitchens or outdoor patios.
- Do not eat or drink in the area where the birds live or roam.
- Do not snuggle or kiss the birds, touch your mouth or eat or drink around live poultry.