One of Dayton’s biggest fireworks celebrations is happening tonight, July 3.
Here’s what you need to know about Dayton’s Lights in Flight celebration, from street closings to parking and more.
THINGS TO DO AT LIGHTS IN FLIGHT
A family friendly celebration will begin at 5 p.m. at RiverScape MetroPark.
The live music schedule includes:
6-7 p.m. — Dayton Jazz Collection featuring Kelli Campbell
7:30-8:30 p.m. — Brass Tracks Band
9-10 p.m. — D-Funk Band
There will also be food, fun for the whole family and fireworks will close the show at 10 p.m.
Admission is free.
Parking will be available for $3 in the nearby Main Street Garage (Main and Monument) during festival hours.
The Oregon Garage (Fifth at Jefferson) is $1 after 6 p.m.
Click here for more information about parking downtown.
It’s important to remember that navigating downtown could be challenging, as the city’s fireworks display happens riverfront.
“The Main Street Bridge will be open for traffic, but with only one lane open in each direction because of construction. The Dayton Police Department advises visitors to approach and depart downtown from alternate routes,” according to a press release from the Downtown Dayton Partnership.
There will be some downtown roads temporarily closed from Wednesday, July 3 until early on Thursday to accommodate the City of Dayton’s “Lights in Flight” festival happening from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. on July 3. The city’s main fireworks display takes place at 10 p.m. Here are the road closings to keep in mind this holiday, according to the Downtown Dayton Partnership:
Beginning 9 a.m. (or earlier) July 3 (until 2 a.m. July 4):
- Monument Avenue from Jefferson Street to Patterson Boulevard
- Monument Avenue between Patterson Boulevard and Sears Street (restricted to local traffic only)
- Water Street (restricted to local traffic only)
- St. Clair Street from First Street to Monument Avenue
- Patterson Boulevard/Riverside Drive from First Street to White Allen Avenue
- Harries Street from the parking garage to Monument Avenue
- the WSU entry/exit to Monument Avenue
- the Engineers Club entry/exit to Monument Avenue
Beginning 8 p.m. July 3 (in addition to the closures listed above):
- Monument Avenue between Main Street and Jefferson Street
- Monument Avenue between Webster Street and Patterson Boulevard
- Jefferson Street between Second Street and Monument Avenue
- St. Clair Street between Second Street and First Street
- Harries Street between Second Street and First Street
- Webster Street between Herman Avenue and Keowee Street (local traffic only during show)
- the top of the exit ramp for South I-75 at Route 4 will be closed to Webster Street
- the top of the exit ramp for North I-75 at Route 4 will be closed to Webster Street
WANT TO GO?
WHAT: Lights in Flight: Dayton’s Fourth of July celebration and fireworks
WHEN: Wednesday, July 3; festival at 5 p.m.- 10 p.m., fireworks at 10 p.m.
WHERE: RiverScape MetroPark, 111 E. Monument Ave., Dayton
COST: FREE admission
Thank you for reading the Journal-News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Journal-News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.