Miss Philippines Catriona Gray was crowned the winner of this year's Miss Universe competition Monday in Bangkok, Thailand.
Here are five things you should know about Gray, a 24-year-old model, singer and TV host from the Philippines' Albay province:
1. She grew up in Australia. Gray, whose father is Scottish and mother is Filipina, was born in Cairns, Queensland, where she attended Trinity Anglican School, according to the Manila Standard and the Central Telegraph. At age 18, she moved to the Philippines, ABC-CBN reported.
2. The singer studied music in Boston. Gray attended the Berklee College of Music and has a master’s certificate in music theory, according to the Miss World Philippines website. She's also "known to spontaneously burst into song," the Miss Universe website says.
3. She's working to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS and end poverty. According to the Miss Universe website, Gray is an advocate for LoveYourself, an organization that promotes HIV/AIDS prevention, testing and education. She's also a volunteer teacher's assistant for Young Focus, which works with young people in poverty.
4. She's a daredevil. Gray, who loves to travel, "is always game for heart-racing adventures," such as zip lining, the Miss Universe website says. She also enjoys the outdoors and has a black belt in Choi Kwang-Do, according to the Miss World Philippines website.
5. She loves food and cooking. Gray is "openly passionate about her love for Filipino dishes, including adobo, balut [boiled bird embryo] and the sweetest mangoes in the world," the Miss Universe website says.