Walmart is removing violent video game displays following the shootings that unfolded within the last 10 days, according to media reports.
Walmart sent a letter last week to associates to take “immediate action” to “remove signing and displays referencing violence,” according to CNBC.
Employees were asked to turn off PlayStation and Xbox units with violent graphics and cancel events promoting combat or third-person shooter games, according to CNBC.
“We’ve taken this action out of respect for the incidents of the past week, and this action does not reflect a long-term change in our video game assortment,” a spokeswoman told CNBC Friday.
Nine people were shot and killed Aug. 4 in Dayton’s Oregon District before gunman Connor Betts was killed by police. The day before, suspected gunman Patrick Wood Crusius killed 22 people at a Walmart in El Paso. Late last month, two Walmart employees died when they were allegedly shot by Marez Terrell Abram in Southaven, Mississippi.
»BIZ BEAT: Golden Nugget gives upate on restaurant sale
“When the worst happens, we counter with our best selves. We support each other, pray together, stand firm and heal together. In so many ways, Walmart reflects the best of America – full of people from all walks of life going about the business of taking care of family and daily responsibilities, living their lives and chasing their dreams,” said Doug McMillon in a release addressing the Walmart shootings.
FIVE FAST READS
Thank you for reading the Journal-News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Journal-News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.