A revised version of the Competitive Balance Plan, three times previously rejected by Ohio High School Athletic Association member principals, was passed in voting announced on Friday by the association.
The proposal passed 411-323 (56 percent to 44 percent) and will be implemented for the 2016-17 school year.
Between 2011-13 three other versions of the proposal were narrowly defeated in the annual OHSAA May 1-15 referendum voting period.
The plan consists of several factors to determine how teams are place in which divisions for postseason play. There are different factors for public and private schools, ranging from enrollment to residential status.
“As we’ve said before, this plan is similar to last year’s but this version is the result of a compilation of input from our superintendents, principals, athletic administrators and coaches,” OHSAA Commissioner Dr. Dan Ross said in a statement.
“I’m most proud that we were able to work together and come up with a solution that will create a better system than we currently have because it looks at how schools secure the enrollment of their students participating in interscholastic athletics.”