Ohio State senior offensive tackle Taylor Decker, a Vandalia Butler High School graduate, was named to the watch list for the 2015 Outland Trophy on Friday. The award goes to the best interior lineman in college football.
The Big Ten also announced Thursday that Decker will be one of three Buckeyes to appear with head coach Urban Meyer at Big Ten Media Days in Chicago on July 30 along with two fellow seniors: linebacker Joshua Perry and defensive lineman Adolphus Washington.
Decker started all 15 games last season at left tackle, logging 1,034 plays. He earned second-team All-Big Ten honors.
Junior offensive guard Pat Elflein and Washington were also named to the Outland watch list.
Here’s a summary of other watch lists released this week and the Buckeyes named to them:
• Bronko Nagurski Award (nation’s top defensive player): Perry; Washington; junior safety Vonn Bell, redshirt sophomore linebacker Darron Lee; and junior defensive end Joey Bosa.
• Ray Guy Award (nation’s top punter): junior Cameron Johnston.
• Rimington Trophy (nation’s most outstanding center): senior Jacoby Boren.
• John Mackey Award (nation’s top tight end): senior Nick Vannett.
• Chuck Bednarik Award (player of the year): Bosa and Perry.
• Robert W. “Tiny” Maxwell Award (player of year): junior running back Ezekiel Elliott; redshirt sophomore quarterback J.T. Barrett; redshirt junior quarterback Cardale Jones; and fifth-year senior quarterback Braxton Miller.
Those four players are also listed among early candidates for the Heisman Trophy, according to online bookmaker Bovada.
Elliott has 7-1 odds of winning the award, trailing only Texas Christian quarterback Trevone Boykin. Miller has 10-1 odds. Jones has 20-1 odds. Barrett has 25-1 odds.