- Michael D. Clark Staff Writer
Both of the finalists for the Lakota Schools superintendent job have roots in Southwest Ohio.
Keith Kline and Matt Miller will have a chance Thursday to make their final cases for why they should be the next leader of Ohio’s eighth largest school system.
The Journal-News obtained each candidate’s personnel files — through Ohio Public Records requests — from their current school districts.
Here are 6 things to know about each candidate:
- Current superintendent of West Clermont Schools in Clermont County
- A graduate of Miamisburg High School in Montgomery County and has three degrees — undergraduate, masters and Ph.D — from Miami University
- A former principal of Lakota East High School and principal and assistant principal at two other Lakota schools
- Has lived in the Lakota community for 28 years and is married to Gail Kist-Kline, superintendent of Mason City Schools in Warren County
- Was praised by Ohio Auditor David Yost for overseeing a financial performance audit of West Clermont Schools. Yost stated: “West Clermont is my new poster child for Performance Audits.”
- Traveled to China as a Lakota representative for a Buckeye Association of School Administrators’ education exchange program
- Current superintendent of Mentor Public Schools in northern Ohio. He has been superintendent of both Mentor and Celina City Schools in Ohio.
- A graduate of Hamilton County’s St. Xavier High School and earned two degrees from the University of Cincinnati
- Taught at Oak Hills Schools’ Oakdale Elementary in the western part of Hamilton County
- Selected as one of the National School Boards Association’s “Top 20 To Watch” in the nation
- Presented at the White House for the GoOpen Initiative on Open Education Resources on the behalf of the U.S. Department of Education – Office of Education Technology
- Accepted as one of only two Ohio superintendents into the national League of Innovative Schools
The Lakota school board is scheduled to publicly meet and vote on hiring a new superintendent at 5 p.m. Friday.View full experience