Posted: 12:43 p.m. Friday, Feb. 1, 2013
By Mark Gokavi
The Ohio State Highway Patrol and National Highway Transportation Board suggest the following courses of action for Super Bowl Sunday partiers.
• Make sure party guests designate their sober drivers before kickoff or arrange ride-sharing.
• Hosts should serve food and non-alcoholic drinks.
• Hosts should serve alcohol only to guests who are at least 21 years old.
• Hosts should stop serving alcohol at the end of the third quarter of the game and begin serving coffee and dessert.
• Have numbers for local cab companies, and take the keys away from anyone who is thinking of driving while impaired.
• Be prepared for guests to spend the night if an alternative way home is not available.
• Avoid drinking too much alcohol too fast. Pace yourself — eat enough food, take breaks, and alternate with non-alcoholic drinks.
• If you don’t have a designated driver, ask a sober friend for a ride home; call a cab, friend, or family member to come and get you.
• Always buckle up – it’s still your best defense against other impaired drivers.