Seven people have said they want to be the next state lawmaker to represent Ohio’s 52nd House District.
However, only five of those candidates are seeking the Butler County GOP’s endorsement before Ohio Speaker of the House Cliff Rosenberger appoints the successor to Ohio Rep. Margy Conditt, R-Liberty Twp.
“The list of individuals who have applied for the appointment is impressive, and it will ensure that the person who is ultimately selected will be an upstanding servant and voice for the people of the 52nd House District,” Rosenberger said. “Through working with members of the screening panel, my colleagues in the House and local officials in Butler County, we will find a qualified replacement soon.”
The deadline for candidates to send their applications to the Ohio speaker was by 5 p.m. Friday and seven submitted letters of interest and resumes.
Here are those who have applied and expressed interest (listed alphabetically with work experience) in being appointed by Rosenberger to represent the communities of Fairfield, Liberty and West Chester townships, and the Butler County portion of Sharonville:
- Ann Becker, of West Chester Twp., 41, Butler County Connect co-owner and creative director; Ohio GOP State Central Committeewoman
- John Haberer, of West Chester Twp., 53, BlueStar US practice manager for network infrastructure; board member for Cherry Lane Farm in West Chester Twp.; treasurer for Hampshire Commons in Cleveland
- Grace Kendrick, of West Chester Twp., 51, Molina Healthcare, Inc. Associate Vice President
- Jeff Kursman, of Liberty Twp., 46, Fifth Third Bank vice president of Corporate Communications & Public Relations; Butler County Central Committee member
- George Lang, of West Chester Twp., 55, West Chester Twp. trustee serving his fourth term; consultant with Performance Benefits Solutions, owner of the Lang Agency
- Anu Mital, of Liberty Twp., 34, physician and partner of Chetna Mital, MD LLC; Butler County Care Facility assistant medical director; Birchwood Car Center medical director
- Lee Wong, of West Chester Twp., 65, West Chester Twp. trustee serving his third term; Butler County probation officer
The county GOP’s Central Committee is set to hold an endorsement meeting at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday at the Ronald Reagan Lodge at the Voice of America MetroPark. The five candidates seeking endorsement — Becker, Kursman, Lang, Mital and Wong — will meet before the Central Committee’s candidate screening committee on Wednesday evening.
Butler County GOP Executive Chairman Todd Hall said there are “several qualified candidates” seeking the endorsement “and the process will work itself through.”
Conditt announced last week she was stepping down from her Statehouse seat on Sept. 8 to spend more time with her family. Rosenberger spokesman Brad Miller said Conditt’s successor could be sworn in to office “in a fairly quick turnaround” either on Sept. 12, which is an “as needed” day for the Ohio House, or Sept. 13. No date has been set as to when Rosenberger would make his decision.
A screening panel, which will include panel chair Rep. Kirk Schuring, R-Canton and Reps. Sarah LaTourette, R-Bainbridge Twp., and Bob Cupp, R-Lima — will vet applicants on Sept. 8.
Butler County Democratic Party Chairwoman Jocelyn Bucaro expressed last week her disappointment in Conditt’s resignation and says it opens the door “to enable Republican Party insiders to anoint yet another successor who answers to party bosses and not the voters they’re supposed to represent.”