Updated: 9:29 p.m. Monday, June 11, 2012 | Posted: 8:59 p.m. Monday, June 11, 2012
By Jacqui Boyle
Data on Ohio online donor designations three days prior to and following Facebook’s announcement on Tuesday, May 1*
There were 100 total Ohio online donor designations over the three days prior to the announcement on Tuesday, May 1, according to the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles. On the day of the announcement and the two following days, there were 570 total Ohio online donor designations, according to the bureau.
April 28: 30
April 29: 20
April 30: 50
May 1: 241
May 2: 232
May 3: 97
*This information was provided by the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles, via Cathi Arends, director of community relations at Life Connection of Ohio.
Using Facebook’s organ donation feature
1. Log in to your Facebook account.
2. Go to your Facebook Timeline.
3. Click on “Life Event.”
4. Click on “Health & Wellness.”
5. Click on “Organ Donor...”
6. Enter the year you became an organ donor. (Facebook also indicates it is optional to enter your location and story, as well as the month you became an organ donor. Organ donation status can be kept private or shared publicly or only with friends.)
7. Press “Save.”
*Note: If you are not officially registered as an organ donor, Facebook directs you to sign up with the appropriate registry.