Posted: 7:31 a.m. Monday, Feb. 4, 2013
By Jacqui Boyle
American Heart Month events
Here is a sampling of screenings and events taking place in February throughout our region in recognition of American Heart Month.
1. Premier Health is offering free heart health screenings. No appointment is necessary at most locations. Here is a sampling of these screenings. To learn more, go to startforyourheart.com, or call 1-866-608-FIND.
7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Feb. 20, Miami Valley Hospital, One Wyoming Street, Dayton
2. Kettering Health Network encourages you to get the Healthy Arteries Screening, which detects plaque and artery wall thickness in neck arteries to show artery age and blood flow issues in leg arteries. The screening also includes an abdominal aorta scan. The cost is $139 for all four exams. Call (937) 558-3988 to schedule an appointment. Here is more information on the screenings.
3. Get free heart month screenings at the Health Fair from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 9, at Atrium Sports Medicine & Physical Therapy in the lower level of the Countryside YMCA, located at 1697 Deerfield Road in Lebanon. Free consultations with physicians, registered nurses, physical therapists and other professionals will be part of the event. For more information, call (513) 934-3850.
4. Mercy Health – Mt. Airy Hospital will hold a free lecture titled “Are You at Risk for Congestive Heart Failure?” The lecture will run from 6 to 7 p.m. at the hospital, located at 2446 Kipling Ave. in Cincinnati. Seating is limited. Call (513) 956-3729, and press option 2 and then option 1, or go to e-mercy.com to register and reserve your seat.
5. Springfield Regional Medical Center invites you to attend “THE HEART OF WOMEN: Becoming my best me, mind body and spirit” from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 23, at Hollenbeck Bayley Conference Center in Springfield. The “morning of interactive events” will provide information on topics including how to exercise, manage stress and eat healthier, followed by lunch. Registration is required, and space is limited. Call (937) 328-8100 to register beginning Feb. 11. For more information, call (937) 328-7035.
6. “Atrial Fibrillation… The Beat Goes On” with speaker Dr. Abdul Wase will take place at 11:30 a.m. Feb. 5, at Earl Heck Community Center in Englewood. The event, co-hosted by Good Samaritan Hospital and BrookHaven Retirement Community, is free and includes a complimentary lunch. An RSVP is required. Call 1 (888) 265-8833.