August trial date set for accused I-75 shooter

August trial date set for accused I-75 shooter

The trial scheduled for later this month for accused Interstate 75 shooter Terry Froman will not happen.

Due to an illness of a defense witness, the trial was continued Thursday in Warren County Common Pleas Court by Judge Joesph Kirby.

Froman, 41, of Illinois, is accused of fatally shooting his 34-year-old ex-girlfriend, Kim Thomas, in the back of his SUV on the interstate near Middletown, and her 17-year-old son in Kentucky in September 2014. Froman, who has been held without bond in the Warren County Jail since the incident shut down the interstate on Sept. 12, 2015, was scheduled to stand trial on Feb. 22.

Froman’s three-week death penalty trial has now been scheduled to begin Aug. 15.

Last month during a pre-trial hearing, defense attorney Melynda Cook said the continuance was necessary because of “medical issues with our psychological expert.”

In the motion to continue the trial filed on Jan. 21, Cook said, “counsel has diligently searched for a replacement expert to no avail. The doctors consulted are either unavailable or unwilling to take on the case within the time constraints demanded by our current scheduling order.

A new psychological expert has been obtained to testify at the summer trial, according to the judge.

Froman faces aggravated murder and kidnapping charges in both states. He answered “yes” when Kirby asked him if he understood his trial had been rescheduled in order to allow his defense to fully prepare his case.

Weather and Traffic