Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer met with the media in his weekly press conference on Monday to discuss Ohio State's big 31-24 win over Wisconsin and the upcoming top 25 match-up with the Northwestern Wildcats. Braxton Miller was also named Big Ten Player of the Week, as Meyer addressed the game and a couple of other topics.
Here were the highlights of Meyer's weekly press conference:
- Urban Meyer says Marcus Hall, Devin Smith, and Evan Spencer all graded out as offensive champions against Wisconsin.
- Corey "Philly" Brown and Jack Mewhort were the co-offensive players of the week.
- Adolphus Washington, Mike Bennett, and C.J. Barnett graded out as defensive champions against the Badgers.
- Meyer said that Ryan Shazier was the defensive player of the week, while Devin Smith earned special teams player of the week
- Urban said he "can't say enough" about Christian Bryant, says Bryant is an invaluable member of the team. Says he doesn't think Bryant is eligible for a medical redshirt, but will certainly look into it.
- Tommy Schutt is still "a couple weeks away" from being able to play.
- On who would replace the injured Bryant, Meyer mentioned Corey "Pittsburgh" Brown, Tyvis Powell, and Vonn Bell all having a good shot. Pitt Brown and Tyvis Powell would be the first choices.
- Meyer on cornerback Bradley Roby's performance against Wisconsin: "He didn't play up to Roby standards. We kind of put him on an island the entire game."
- Urban wants to give the ball more to Jordan Hall, needs to be "more involved" in the offense against Northwestern.
- Coach Meyer says he's not concerned about style points: "Best thing about 5-0 is the chance to go 6-0."
- Asked about the playcalling in the second half against Wisconsin, Meyer says with being up three scores, the plan was to run the clock out.
- Cameron Johnston's last punt against the Badgers was 53 yards with a 4.56 hang time.
- Meyer mentioned that Braxton had too many carries against Wisconsin (22) and wants to have him around 15 carries from here on.
- Meyer on Braxton Miller's block on the Dontre Wilson run during the Wisconsin game: "He's been chirping about that all day."
- Meyer is impressed with Northwestern's offense: "Schematically, they are a very sound unit. Quarterback completes 77% of his passes."