The great thing about being a parent is that education never stops. Even when your child comes home from a day at school, the learning still continues.
As a homeschooler, I have a ton of resources and materials at home that help with educating my little ones. But even if you aren't a homeschooler, there are still things you should probably have at home to help with your child's education on a regular basis.
Since we're in back to school season, it's a good time to talk about some of the necessities that are a good idea to have on hand at home. Now is the perfect time to save money on these items, so keep them in mind when you head to the store for that last-minute school shopping.
1. A computer. It's pretty much a given right? This day and age, children need access to computers not only for learning purposes, but also for typing up homework, doing research and more.
2. A library card. Even with the newfound existence of Google, it's so important for kids to have access to their local library for reading and research purposes. Taking weekly trips to the library will help encourage a love of reading, and allow them regular access to the World's knowledge.
3. A musical instrument. If you're child is still young and you aren't sure about musical ability yet, it's definitely a good idea to give him or her access to some sort of musical instrument. Music stimulates areas of the brain that other things do not, and it's a great way to encourage creativity.
4. Maps. Maps are so fascinating, and there are so many types: Maps of the world, maps of the stars, maps of animal species. Having various maps available encourages learning, and also makes it fun.
5. A telescope. I may be alone in this one, as everyone may not have an interest in this, but having a telescope as a child was probably one of the most fascinating things for me. Exploring the sky encouraged me to think outside the realm of our own world, and encourage a love of learning and exploration.
6. Games. Things like board games not only encourage education but also great family fun. If you don't purchase new ones at this time, the holiday season coming up is a great time to grab deal on family games.
These are just a few things that I am a fan of, and think are essential to encourage learning and creativity. And now that we're in the swing of back to school season, it's the best time to buy supplemental educational materials and supplies.
What are some of the things that you like to have on hand to encourage learning and creativity with your kids?Add a Comment
Join us at a money saving class in your area where we help you not only save on back to school supplies, but also on your groceries and meal planning!