Thomas the Tank Engine will return to the Lebanon Mason Monroe Railroad (LM&M Railroad) for two consecutive weekends for a “Day Out with Thomas: The Friendship Tour 2017” on Aug. 19-20 and Aug. 25-27.
“We’ve hosted a ‘Day Out with Thomas’ for over 10 years now. It varies between either being our most popular event, or our second-most popular event in line with Christmas,” said Will Gawin, general manager of LM&M Railroad.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Presented by Mattel, “Day Out with Thomas: Friendship Tour 2017” will include a 25-minute train ride with Thomas the Tank Engine, and an opportunity to meet Sir Topham Hatt, the controller of the railway. Thomas the Tank Engine is a full, working replica of a steam engine, which includes a working whistle and an animatronic face that moves and talks when entering and leaving the station.
To celebrate this year’s theme, a “Day Out with Thomas: The Friendship Tour 2017” will feature a variety of friendship-inspired activities. Attendees will be able to participate in events that encourage and celebrate friendship including photo opportunities, crafts, a hay maze and other fun activities.
The fun for families and children will continue with a bounce castle, a four-hole mini golf station, train displays, and live entertainment by Marty the Magician as well as musical performances by Zak Morgan. Morgan will perform for three concerts – at 10 a.m., noon and 2 p.m.
Also, guests can visit the Thomas & Friends Imagination Station with Thomas-themed activities including stamps, temporary tattoos, hands-on art and more.
Annually, about 12,000 to 14,000 people attend the “Day Out with Thomas” events, over the course of two weekends.
“Kids love Thomas. It’s been a very popular children’s television show for decades. The live event gives those kids a chance to see Thomas in real life, and the expressions on their faces when they turn the corner, and Thomas is sitting there, or when Thomas is pulling in or out of the station is priceless,” Gawin said.
In its 22nd year, the Day Out with Thomas tour, will make 42 stops across the United States and Canada. The tour is expected to welcome nearly one million passengers in 2017. For a complete schedule of LM&M Railroad events, or to purchase tickets, go to www.lebanonrr.com.
Top 5 reasons not to miss a “Day Out with Thomas”
1. It’s unique. There are very few places where you can ride a real, working, vintage train, let alone a real, working, vintage train that features Thomas the Tank Engine. Lebanon is only one of two locations in Ohio where that’s possible.
2. It’s a family-focused event, and there aren’t many festival-type events that are dedicated exclusively to families with young children.
3. LM&M Railroad is just a short drive away in Lebanon. The station is less than an hour away from Cincinnati, Dayton, Hamilton, Middletown or Washington Courthouse – and it’s an easy drive into town.
4. It’s an event the whole family will enjoy, even though it’s geared toward children. Parents, grandparents, older brothers and sisters can all appreciate the experience of being able to ride a vintage train. Everyone can participate in many of the other activities as well.
5. With an outstanding annual event like this – it’s good to go before your kids grow up.
WANT TO GO?
What: Day Out with Thomas: The Friendship Tour 2017
When: Aug. 19-20 and Aug. 25-27. Rides depart every 45 minutes. Departure times run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., each day of the event.
Where: LM&M Railroad, 127 S. Mechanic St., Lebanon
Admission: All tickets are $19 for ages 2 and up. Tickets for groups of 20 or more are $15. Discounted tickets for Military are $15 with the presentation of a ID. (Plus online ticketing fees.) Advance purchase is recommended.