- Physician to parents: You're doing it wrong
- Tiny house village for the homeless set to open this week
- Woman found frozen to death after leaving a party
- EMS worker dies of heart attack after responding to daughter's wreck
- 5 planets will be visible from earth at the same time
Good news for consumers who bought a hoverboard from Amazon but are afraid to use it due to the concerns over fires and injuries.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that Amazon will offer a full refund for any hoverboards sold on its website.
According to the CPSC, not only do hoverboards pose a fire and combustion risk due to the lithium-ion batteries overheating, there are also numerous reports of falls suffered while riding hoverboards. The CPSC is investigating the injury reports to see if it can determine whether or not a product flaw, like the hoverboards speeding up or lurching without warning, is leading to the spikes in serious fall injuries associated with the devices.
Hoverboards in the news:
For those determined to use their hoverboards, the CPSC encourages people to use extreme caution. The CPSC has made the following recommendations:
- Have a working fire extinguisher nearby when using or charging the devices.
- Charge the hoverboard away from other combustible items.
- Always wear protective gear when riding a hoverboard.
- Never use a hoverboard on or near a road.